This is a really fun mission, the adults loved this one as much as the kids. We did this challenge while on vacation and some parents found it very difficult to not provide tips or insights to their kids, resist that urge! Let them do this one on their own and they’ll surprise you. We had 3 out of 4 survive although 1 was broken during the construction process itself. You’ll need some prep materials below parents so look closely at the Parents Only section.
As with all of our missions there is a printable mission document by signing up below, and you will have access to all of our previous missions. It’s quick and easy to sign up with absolutely nothing to buy, that’s not how we roll.
The MacGyver Challenge
An enormous colony of a previously undiscovered Egyptian Gas Ant has infested your village of Journeyton and you’ve been sent in to save the day. You are airlifted into the infectious disease lab only to find that the entire lab has been exposed with the exception of a small room and a deck outside the lab. You must get the serum safely to the National Guard who is waiting below your building but how will you do it in time with only 60 minutes and the supplies you’ve found in the closet?
Parents Onlyn order to prepare for this one you can choose what type of materials to provide for the mission but they will be building a structure to keep the serum safe from a drop of 6 feet or so. I’ve provided, 100 tongue depressors, 100 bendy straws, 3 rolls of gauze, a small handy size of gorilla tape, cotton balls, 2 small lengths of para cord and a plastic bag to hold it. You can choose to provide whatever you want but these materials seem to work great for the challenge.
Swiss Army Knife, equipment found scrounging in the lab closet, egg housing the serum. You can find links to some of the resources on our resources page.
Using the materials you have found on site you have only 60 minutes to build a structure or contraption that can keep the egg in tact from a drop of 6 feet or greater.
- Get your egg full of live giving serum and start to build a structure around it with your materials on hand. A strong suggestion is to use a soft padded material to initially cushion your egg. Using duct tape or other adhesive directly on the egg will make it very difficult to remove without destroying the egg.
- Think about a structure that will provide a nice soft cushion for the egg to ride in and then provide an outer structure that will compress and absorb the hard landing when dropped.
- When you are finished building your structure clean up your other materials and return to a sack or garbage bag you have in your work area.
- When the time is elapsed work with your C.O. to document your serum drop from 6 feet or greater. If you are standing on a ladder please be safe. Get photo proof of your serum holder and your drop.
- Drop the serum!
- You have now been safely airlifted back out of the lab go retrieve your serum and verify it’s intact. Be careful when opening that you don’t accidentally break the egg while removing it’s carrier.
- Take pictures and share with us below or at http://facebook.com/journeytomen
You cannot leave your lab safe area during the 60 minutes. You are not permitted outside help, communications are completely down. If your serum egg breaks during the build process, you can get another but you will not be awarded the full mission value so please be careful.
+500 MAN POINTS FOR BUILDING THE SERUM HOLDER
+1500 MAN POINTS FOR YOUR EGG SURVIVING THE 6 FOOT OR GREATER DROP
+500 MAN POINTS FOR A PARTIALLY INTACT EGG AFTER THE DROP
-500 MAN POINTS FOR LEAVING A DIRTY WORK AREA INCLUDING EGG RESIDUE IF ANY